Fudgy Chocolate Brownies

Today was a special day for Noodle. He's been in an intensive course at his tutoring school for the past week and today was the last day. I asked him what he'd like for dinner to celebrate. Bless him, little sweetie, he asked for the thing I made for him almost everyday for two years when he was little: Macaroni Cheese (without the cheese, thank you).

I was happy to make it, super-duperized with chopped parsley, sliced boiled egg, pieces of ham and gorgeous bright red peppers. It was delicious.

To go along with it I baked his other favourite as a surprise: chocolate brownies. I couldn't find a recipe that I liked so I adapted one. Would you like to try it?


Jacqui's Fudgy Chocolate Brownies

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Van Houtens)
1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Use a large bowl or saucepan. Mix the oil, boiling water and cocoa until smooth. Add the sugar and mix until well-blended, with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add a generous spoonful of vanilla essence (to mask the taste of the olive oil). Stir in the coconut. Sift in the flour and baking powder (combined). Mix well.

The mixture will be quite runny. Pour into glass baking dish lined with wax-proof baking paper. Make sure the paper extends up all sides of the dish as brownies do tend to stick.

Bake at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes. (My oven is fan-forced). Test the centre with a skewer or toothpick to make sure it is cooked through. The brownie should also have shrunk away from the edges of the dish when it's done.

Cool on a rack for about five minutes in the dish then carefully invert and peel the oven paper off. When cool slice into bars and dust the top with icing sugar (optional).

Tip -
I used American measuring cups.
I dotted the baking dish with oil so the paper would not slide around and bounce out.
The brownies feel a little greasy while they are still hot but once they're cold I don't think you notice the olive oil.

This recipe was adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book (Coconut Chocolate Brownies 51st edition p62)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.